Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Assignment #12

My Blog Assignment
Create a video of you teaching a lesson that you would find in a middle/high school mathematics textbook. (Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus). This can be of you explaining a concept, proving a theory, or applying rules and concepts to an example or two. This video must be at least two minutes long. Incorporate technology somewhere in your explanation. You must be in the video and you must present yourself as an aspiring teacher- do not wear sweatpants, holey blue jeans, exposing blouses, t-shirts, etc.
Watch these two videos before you attempt your video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UWqP-E0Q1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u06Yrvt2XLc&list=ECE7EBBE9A482DC959
Take notes! How do these two videos approach explaining a lesson? What did you take from these videos and how did you apply what you observed to your video? Upload your video to YouTube and embed it into your blog. Include your response to the videos and previous questions in the same post. Follow the requirements in Writing A Quality Blog Post.

Response
The first video was more entertainment oriented. He wanted to teach his students a lesson, while staying in tune to the fact that math is boring to high schoolers. The second video, in my opinion, is focused on students in high school who are in a “upper level” course like Pre-Cal and Calculus. He teaches the lesson effectively and clearly; however, I could not see students in 10th grade and under having the ability to pay attention long enough to watch many of his lessons. I could be wrong though. I enjoyed the clarity of the second lesson and the entertainment from the first lesson.

I wanted to keep my lesson short and sweet, yet clear.My lesson was Algebra: How to Multiply Binomials. I need to work on my entertaining aspect. I was pretty boring in my lesson. I also need to work on clarity. I should have done another example. I want to try “Flipping the Classroom”, so working on my video lessons is very important. I also need to get a webcam with more visual clarity. My video is "wavy" and blurred slightly.

3 comments:

  1. Anyone teaching math should be aware of the hundreds of videos on math (and math lessons) at the Kahn Academy. Are you aware of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my high school, Pre-Cal teacher mentioning that; however, I have never taking the time to look at it. I will definitely do that now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and interesting post!! I didnt see any errors. Thanks for the information. I enjoyed reading your post!!

    ReplyDelete