Saturday, May 4, 2013

Blog Assignment #15

Part One
The main tool I focused on at the beginning of this class was the SMART board. I still stand by that tool because it is capable of doing almost anything and can be implemented in almost every lesson possible. My high school classes were very limited in technology. I did not know how much was available to teachers to use. After four months of being in this class, I would like to add a few more methods, tools, and more to my “future classroom”. These are three additional parts I would like to include in my original "future classroom" post.

“Flipping the Classroom”
I want to teach/explain important lessons, concepts, and theories through uninterrupted videos online. I will then have the students come to class, after watching the lesson for that day, and apply the lesson in class through worksheets, activities, practice problems, and more. This will allow me to answer my student’s questions and help those who are falling behind or advancing quicker. This will allow me to assign less math problems homework, and more math projects.

Class Blog
I want each student to have a blog, on my class blog. Each video lesson will be attached to the class blog. Hopefully, I can find a way to show, specifically, which student watched the lesson or not. I will also include important notes, a tutoring page, a resource page, and important class updates. My resource page will include links to helpful blogs by other people. My tutoring page will include a forum area for students to ask me questions and include what we discussed in available after-school tutoring classes.

FluidMath
If I had to describe FluidMath in one word, I would say it is “engaging”. This software can be used on a SMART board. It can turn word problems into a visual experience. (For example: “Two cars are head North at 55 mph, how long…….”) These problems can be drawn and the program plays them. It also provides graphs that can be changed bit by bit and adjust appropriately as you show, for example, how negative numbers and positive numbers in a particular area of the equation affect the graph. This will keep my students more engaged than lecturing and drawing each change by hand.

I want my students to be confident and successful. I want to be able to use all resources possible to make them feel comfortable and good in math. My goal is to do this, without having each student live and breathe technology so much that they cannot add without a calculator.

Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment